The Great Trail is the longest recreational trail in the world, and true to its name, it embodies the vastness of Canada’s terrain and the diversity of its people. The routes near St John’s Newfoundland reveal some of Canada’s most dramatic scenery: barren headlands, silky marshes, and soaring coastal cliffs. Where else can you spot whales, icebergs, and an abundance of wildflowers as you stride along with the salt-wind in your face? Spend 4 days hiking the first 40 kilometres of the scenic path with animated local guides, starting at North America’s easternmost point, Cape Spear. Walk this magnificent terrain with stops along the way to enjoy the warmth of Newfoundland hospitality and seasonal local cuisine. Through stories and music, our exploration on foot offers an unprecedented experience of nature with special insights into Newfoundland culture. This exceptional Canadian experience is not to be missed.
Photos courtesy of Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism, Barret & MacKay Photo, Jennifer Deacon, and Egzi Polat.
Dates: September 16 - 20, 2018 - ** We also offer a self-guided version of this trip here **
Trip price is $2980 CAD + HST plus a $250 mandatory contribution to The Great Trail (non-taxable). Price is per person based on double occupancy, single supplement price is available upon request.
Note: This is an exclusive, fully-guided small-group journey (maximum number of travellers is 16, booked on a first come, first serve basis) that's led by local hosts, along with a Quench trip manager. For travellers wishing to extend their stay in Newfoundland, we are happy to design an add-on trip.
- Hike 40km of The Great and East Coast Trail, including a visit to the easternmost point in North America, Cape Spear.
- Take in the stunning terrain of Newfoundland through marshes, bogs, and along the sea-cliffs.
- Enjoy a traditional Kitchen Party featuring the music of talented local musicians and sumptuous local cuisine at the historic Mallard Cottage.
- Enjoy lunch and tales of the sea with a Petty Harbour fisherman, in the hometown of writer-musician Alan Doyle.
- Immerse yourself in Newfoundland culture on a fun pub crawl in downtown St John’s.
- Stay in the stylish Inn by Mallard Cottage on the picturesque shore of Quidi Vidi Harbour.
- The insight and animation of your local hosts (to be announced).
- 4 nights’ accommodation in the Inn by Mallard Cottage.
- 3 dinners, 4 lunches with beverages and tips included.
- Cultural excursions and hikes guided by local experts.
- Full-time dedicated Quench trip managers.
The Inn by Mallard Cottage:
To learn more about the historical cottage that will serve as home-away-from-home during this journey, please watch this short video.
Quench owners Jen and Mercedeh have been designing memorable travel experiences for groups and individuals for decades. They love any opportunity to leave the office and join their travellers on the road, to share the delight in travel as it unfolds. It is a unique chance to share in a more personal way their favourite local characters and cultural moments. For their full bios, please click here.